I hope you had a nice weekend! I ended up participating in the Open Studios tour and scored some really great gifts for myself and my family. One of the artists said to me, “I’m so grateful when people like you will come and pay for art right away.” I know it sometimes takes time to decide on purchasing a piece of art, however, I think artists these days are seeing more lookers instead of buyers. Even the people that like art are not valuing art enough to buy from artists. Buying a print at a big box store is not going to help your local artist. This story brings me to my main objective:
ap·a·thy (from Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
: the feeling of not having much emotion or interest : an apathetic state
Full Definition of APATHY1: lack of feeling or emotion : impassiveness
- Retweet arts education, arts advocacy and arts news that matters.
- Share pro-arts stories on Facebook and other social media outlets.
- Send a quick email to your favorite media outlets.
- Tweet at your congress representatives about the arts.
- Buy from artists you know (or local artists) instead of big box for gifts.
- Join arts advocacy organizations like Americans for the Arts and add your voice during calls for action!
- Sign up and go to local business of arts workshops.
- Become more involved with your arts council or alliance.
- Wear arts gear to start conversations with people.
- Be a verb!
We can get the arts trending again. We can put to bed this apathetic state. It will take a big wave of action. The bigger picture is worth working on. It will make the smaller day to day a great deal easier.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Cheers to happy and loyal audiences,
Audience Development Specialists
“Never treat your audience as customers, always as partners.”
Please consider supporting ADS so we can continue our work. Donate here!