I have posted a few arts advocacy thoughts over the past few weeks. I sent you my Arts are Everywhere presentation, and have given you my ideas about how we can build a stronger arts advocacy campaign. The main issues that I see are:
- We are not doing enough of the work that is needed to fuel a major campaign.
- We are not connecting the arts to everyday life so people can make the connection that the arts are a part of their lives.
- We do not have enough leadership for a major campaign.
We are sporadic and unorganized, and we do not have a common goal to focus our efforts. I want to propose an “Arts are Everywhere” campaign. I touched upon this last week, but maybe we can make it official. Could we as a group:
- Post about current arts happenings in our daily lives to show that the arts are an integral part of our existence.
- Point out regular everyday occurrences of arts in our daily lives.
- Share (meaning hit the Share link and RT) whenever we see an arts advocacy or arts posting.
- Write our representatives a few times each year to remind them we think the arts are important.
- Start sharing our stories about about the arts and why we the arts are important to us.
The arts belong to all of us, yet we won’t be able to have arts fully funded and supported unless the majority of us speak up for the arts. If more people speak up, this could also translate well for audience development.
Please consider joining in on the above mentioned points of action. One person can make a difference, and all of us that are willing to do a little extra can make a world of difference.
Thank you, and I support the arts because without them, we wouldn’t have anything creative in our lives.
Cheers to happy and loyal audiences,
Audience Development Specialists
“Never treat your audience as customers, always as partners.”
Although we are not a non-profit, if you would like to support ADS to continue our work, you can donate here.