I’ve been thinking about how powerful YouTube has become. There are many ways you can use YouTube specifically for audience development. I have highlighted some ideas in the past, but I thought maybe it was time for a helpful guide of “YouTube and Audience Development.”
1. Use it to connect with your audience before a show! This is similar to having a pre-concert event for your audience, except you can get fairly creative in your YouTube format. Today I found the Denver Center Theatre Company’s “10 Minutes to Curtain” YouTube Show with host Charlie Miller. Here is their show #9 as a sample:
2. You can use it to highlight your your upcoming season. This YouTube highlights the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center’s 2009-2010 season. Great stuff!
3. You can use YouTube to introduce your audience to the members of your organization, especially if you have someone new on board. Here is New York Philharmonic’s “Alan Gilbert: A Maestro for You” to introduce their new music director.
4. You can use YouTube to highlight your organization. This video presents Visual Art Institute Utahs premier art program for children and teens.
5. Or how about using YouTube to thank your donors and patrons? This is exactly what Magic Theatre in San Francisco did:
Stay tuned for more ways you can use YouTube…part 2 will be coming soon!
Until next time, may your audiences be happy and loyal ones, and if they are not, feel free to contact me!
Shoshana Fanizza is the founder of Audience Development Specialists. Her mission is to introduce artists and arts organizations to their existing and potential audiences and to help them to form more rewarding relationships.
Audience Development Specialists’ Facebook Page! for up-to-date news and information about audience development!